And Ahmedinajad "won" the election, same for Assad. How do polls matter in regions of complete disarray, mayhem, murder where the only aspiration of people is to destroy the opponent - which just happens to be Israel at this case.
Anecdotal data which to me only signals backward optimism:
* Fatah was still able to edge Hamas by 3% in Gaza, where 33% of those polled said they favored Fatah, compared to 30% for Hamas
* Fifty-seven percent of Palestinians in the West Bank also said they disapprove of Hamas, but only 16% disapproved "strongly."
* When asked who was responsible for the current crisis in Gaza, Israel was overwhelmingly blamed by all the groups polled. But while 5% of Egyptians and Jordanians blamed Hamas for the current crisis, 35% of Palestinians in the West Bank said Hamas was to blame, while 16% of Gazans agreed.
* While 35% of the other groups polled stressed the importance of releasing captive IDF soldier Gilad Schalit, an overwhelming two-thirds of Gazans said the same.
* Fifty-six percent of West Bank Palestinians said that in retrospect, they wished Arafat had accepted the agreement, while 50% of Jordanians and 39% of Egyptians said the same. In Gaza, 57% of those polled said they did not regret Arafat's rejection of the deal.
When reading poll data, a fun thing to do with how it is reported is to invert the message, that is - if 56% wish Arafat had signed a final peace treaty, that's 44% who say they would never accept any peace with Israel. 66.6% of Gazans say they approve of releasing Shalit, that's 33.3 who think holding a human being for a punching bag for ever is a good idea.
Source, JPost: Poll: Hamas approval rating extremely low
And again, reading the title of this article I ask - so what if Hamas' 'approval rating' is low - it's a barbaric murderous tribal society, approval ratings do not matter to them. Once they took control by force, they won't let go. There are enough crazies in their ranks - and the only way to make a living in Gaza-hell is to appease the oppressing Iranian/Hamas regime. Want to make a living in Gaza? Work for Hamas. Checkmate by Hamas against Gaza's Arabs, end of story (for a long while).