Friday, March 14, 2008

Why I cancelled Financial Times two weeks after subscribing.

One has to ask himself, what does one value?

For me, the first thing is life. Mine, and my family's. Then every other human being's life. Health and Happiness are next to follow. Somewhere along those list of values, my personal finance does have a place. At some point I decided to try Financial Times to add another venue of information regarding analysis of my investment options. I'm not rich, but I do try to keep informed.

During that period there were several incidents in Israel, that were reported on FT in a biased way. There were several op-ed and "atmosphere" stories giving only Palestinian perspective - and a lying deceitful one at that.

Assuming that I only tried that paper for its financial information value, having a biased/trumped up reporting regarding Israel should not have mattered much if at all. However I asked my self, if a paper which tries to claim some level of credibility publishes lies and besmirches the name of Israel, the IDF and the residents of Israel with no remorse, how can I evaluate its' accuracy and impartiality regarding financial news?

Of course, when I called to cancel all I had to say was that I did not like the paper. But it runs deeper. I distrust them! I find no reason to finance hypocrites and liars. They present propaganda as news, what exactly are they presenting as financial news? I know a chart and a quote can't be "biased" - however commentary regarding corporations can be. If you are a liar here - you are a liar there.

Investors Business Daily is for that matter the only honest paper when it comes to op-eds and generic news. Add to that some very educational items found in each edition, I can't Imagine I would ever choose a different publication for financial information.

No comments:

Post a Comment